Monday, March 24, 2014

March 23, 2014: Week 22 Avocado Season :)

Hello Everyone!

Well.... I'm sorry to tell you that mango season only has a few more weeks.... and sadly we have moved right into Avocado season....  Dangit :)

How are you all??  I'm doing good.  Just enjoying this 95% humidity at the moment!  Haha.  So I have a few stories for you this week!

So we were teaching this couple that are as native Filipino as they get.  They live in a hut that is in the middle of their rice field.  They like eat field rats and stuff.  They are great people.  So we were teaching them about the 10 commandments out of Mosiah 12 and 13.  We came to the last commandment and asked her to read it (Mosiah 13:24) and as she finished reading we asked her what she learned from her reading.  She paused for a second.... Then re-read the line, "nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbors."  She then looked at us and said, "Uhhh.. Walang bakla!" Or in English "Don't be gay?!"  Haha so we then explained to her what a donkey is.   

So this week we were teaching our investigator Rameir.  He is very interested in the gospel, and only wants to discuss it in English.... So I try and go there as often as possible :)  But his question for us this week was why did john the baptist restore the priesthood to the earth?  And is it possible fro there to be resurrection before the second coming of Christ?  Two very tough questions.  So me and elder Lungay searched and got our facts ready.  So I was prepared to argue the bible with him and convince him that what we were saying was true.  Thinking that if I would pull out the Book of Mormon he wouldn't believe it because its our book, and not the bible.  So of course I got into bible bashing and elder Lungay just sat back and once it got heated he pulled out the Book of Mormon.  I was sitting there thinking "What are you doing?"  We started reading to him the doctrine of resurrection from Alma 40 and he got quiet and very interested in what it was saying.  He didn't say a word as we all took turns reading what the verse had to say and the room filled thick with the spirit.  When we finished he sat quiet then looked at us and said, "Who am I to ask if all of this is possible?  I had been asking for god to give me something to bring me closer to him and the next day you showed up at my door.  Ill start reading this book tonight."  Those words still read in my head.  It was such an amazing moment.  I learned that the Bible was translated by the wisdom of men, but the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift of God.  If the heart is really searching for the truth, it will find it through the Book of Mormon.  It was an amazing moment.

Well that's my story for this week!  There are so many, but that was the best!  I hope that you all are doing well!

Love you all and stay safe!

Elder Gordon

1. Elder Watkins and I got artsy on accident.



No comments:

Post a Comment